Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Koln Christmas Market 2014

On December 23rd I went on a bus trip with the Baumholder Community Spouses Club to visit Koln (in English the city is called Cologne). We went to walk around and see the various Christmas Markets in the city. The bus ride there was about three hours and we got dropped off in the city center by the cathedral and main train station.

After walking through the train station the first thing I saw was the cathedral. It was so beautiful, breath taking!



The cathedral was open to walk through for free. A group of about 8/9 other friends of mine on the trip kinda hung out in a group and walked together for the day. The cathedral was great to see and I definitely want to go back and do a guided tour. It was so packed and was hard to really enjoy and see the church. I also know Rob will want to go back. Each time I see a cathedral I can't help but still be AMAZED by how large the one in Sevilla was. This one was big but not nearly the same size.











After the cathedral was started at the main market there next to the cathedral. It was very cold and windy so a warm cup of gluhwein was much needed at this point.
This is the front entrance to the first market. We enjoyed our first cups of gluhwein
at tables over just to the right of the entrance. 

Me *all bundled up* with some gluhwein
and the cathedral in the back :)
Loved being able to enjoy the market right up on the cathedral steps.




of course my favorite! Potato Pancakes! :)
There were SO! many booths and I really wanted to look at all the goods they each sold but the markets were PACKED! It was hard to enjoy the market with so many people (partly because I think we went on the last Saturday the market was open too). It also was hard because we were walking around in a large group and kept losing people or having to wait on each other. 

We shouldered our way around the masses in the market and decided to change it up and hit the next market. There was a train offered to go between the markets but, since we weren't going to stay all day, walking made more sense. 

We even saw some super happy *sports?* people. I couldn't tell because, oh wait, all the shoutings were in German lol.


On our way to the next market we walked along the river and the buildings were super cute. Brandee even stopped to play with some bubbles. 




Market number 2. More neat things I wanted to buy! I swear next time I'm going to have to bring reuseable shopping bags and come on a weekday! 


They put up trees everywhere. Makes it more
Christmas-y :)
Here is gluhwein prost from market 2 (photo courtesy of Danette)


and then chocolate! Brandee and I had to buy some! I bought a little sheep.

my sheep :)
another river view from behind one of the tents.
Love this picture and Shannon's little sneak in!

I want to buy all the Christmas decor!
Then we did some group photos on the Lindt Chocolate Museum steps. (Next 3 photos courtesy of Danette!)




Then we headed to market number three!


We stumbled upon an ice skating rink!


Kristi and I
Mark enjoyed his selfie time.



Then, over by the ice skating rink, I had a bit different gluhwein. It came on fire! They poured the regular gluhwein and added a brown sugar cone to the top that was soaked in liquor and set on fire. The sugar melts down into the wine and makes it super yummy! I had to keep this mup simply for the story :)
a picture of the place where I bought said awesome gluhwein

said awesome gluhwein
This was a huge, taller than me, wood carved nativity scene we walked past.



And a massive gingerbread house. Cause why not?


Brandee got yelled at by the honey store lady. She was eating food while looking around the shop and the lady didn't like her sticky fingers on her honey. Mean lady trying to rain on our parade.


Next came the wait in line for Katie, Brandee, and Danette's 1/2 meter meat sticks. Yes, that's really what they were. Massive kebabs.




After lapping the last market we headed back towards the cathedral and our bus meeting location. But more pictures along the way was a must.



This picture kinda shows just how crowded it was. EVERYWHERE.

From market number 2 I bought a Christmas ornament for our tree. It is a laser wood carved ornament of the cathedral. First of many Christmas ornaments. We're gonna be so set on Christmas decorations when we leave here!



It was such a great market and a fun city. I can't wait to visit again (non-Christmas season) and then again for the market with Rob!

No comments:

Post a Comment